An automatic way of doing such sync would be great...
If this is your need, Windows Live Mesh is surely an option worth your investigation. What you need is a hotmail account and install Windows Live Essential (Mesh) on all computers you need to synchronize data.
To start with, go to www.live.com, open your hotmail account. If you already have an account, logon to your live.com or hotmail.com, mouse over on the Windows Live logo at the top bottom corner, you will find downloads. Download and install your copy of Windows Live Mesh.
With Windows Live Mesh, you can even synchronize file folders to your friends' computers. A list of devices (computers) and sync folders will be maintained under your account. You can also synchronize folders to SkyDrive. Besides, files and folders, your Microsoft Office styles, templates, custom dictionaries and email signatures can also be synchronized between your computers.
However, currently there are some limitations of Mesh:
- Sync space limit of 5GB
- Network folders or shares cannot be shared / sync
- Only Windows Vista / 7 or higher are supported, not available in Windows XP
- Sync and share to a maximum of 9 people
- Permission rights limited to full rights, which means once shared to others, all others can add, modify and remove files
- Mesh does not sync SkyDrive, but only the 5GB separate storage space
- Support for mobile devices is missing